You must be the change you want to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

DIY Wednesday!

I saw the idea for the Magnetic Make-Up organizing board on Pinterest a while back. But every time this genius idea popped up the link went no where! It was so frustrating... I wanted to know what supplies were used to create such a masterpiece! So I decided to make my own and blog about it!

The inspiration for this craft project.
Image seen on indulgy.com

So lets get started! I didn't take pictures during the process because ya'll are smart folks and can follow along! I decided to make mine on the cheap (aka a little less fancy). You can make your make-up board as fancy or as budget friendly as you like. I had an old cookie sheet that had seen better days and hasn't been used for cookies in years. I decided to use that as my base. Of course you could also buy a funky frame and get some metal sheeting to fit your frame. I picked up some "Tiffany Blue" spray paint at Hobby Lobby and gave my cookie sheet a few coats. If you don't care to paint your metal sheeting/cookie sheet you can always cover it in a funky fabric or scrapbook paper. While waiting for my paint to try I glued magnets onto the back of my make-up items that I wanted on my board. A hot glue gun would work great here, but I just used my Beacon Fabric Fix because it's what I had and what I prefer to use for craft products (fyi... it's great for so much more than just fabric). Once your paint and glue are both good and dry have fun sticking your make up on your board! For easy hanging I just punched a couple holes (with a mini screwdriver and hammer) in the top of my cookie sheet and nailed it to the wall. You can always string some pretty ribbon through or dress it up however you wish. If you go with a picture frame you could use the mounting, or use the easel and just set it on your vanity, super cute either way! I decided to attach a little zebra print bucket to hold eye liners and brushes to the bottom of the sheet (just magnets) and a fun "N" at the top for a little dressing up. Nothing super crazy or fancy... just cute and functional!

My finished Magnetic Make-Up Board


Cost run down:

  • Cookie Sheet - Old and Gross so FREE!
  • Spray Paint - Hobby Lobby $5.49 (But only about $3.30 if you use your 40% off coupon!)
  • Magnets - $1.99 for 8 small magnets, "3" on the strength scale. I ended up buying two packages, some items needed more than one magnet. Also Hobby Lobby
  • Metal "N" - $1.50 at Hobby Lobby, normally $2.99 yay for 50% off!
  • Zebra Bucket - $1.49 Hobby Lobby again! I found this in the party section.
Total cost to me: $10.29  not great, but could be worse!

Whip up a make-up board of your own and be sure to send me a pic and brag about it!

Canon PowerShot SX50 12.1MP 50x Optical Zoom Black Digital Camera (Google Affiliate Ad)

No comments:

Post a Comment