You must be the change you want to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Thursday, January 17, 2013

DIY: Two Plates and a Candlestick

I keep seeing this cute little pedestal stands on Pinterest made out of plates! I love the idea and wanted to make some, but every time I clicked on the links... yep, the link went no where! Sometimes it's nice to get ideas and check out another bloggers crafts. PSA: Please folks, if you see something super awesome online and pin it, don't forget the correct link! Have to give credit where credit is due right?


Anyway... so I decided to go ahead and use a little trial and error and make my own cute little bathroom organization pedestal stands!

I started off by checking out my local thrift shop for some funky plates. You can check anywhere you like... thrift store, dollar store, Mom's cabinet, etc! I found 4 awesome plates that I loved and off I went! My next stop was to Hobby Lobby (aka My 2nd Home Sweet Home). There were a lot of great candlestick options, most of them glass which is fine. I didn't really want to use glass though. I wanted to try and do this project on the cheap and the glass candlesticks started at $4 and went up to $20. I decided to check out the woodworking aisle and found some pretty awesome little candlesticks for $2 each.

Once I got home I painted my candlesticks. One I painted a shiny black and the other is light grey. I just used regular old craft paint that I had on hand, nothing fancy.

Once the glue was dry I decided to embellish my candlesticks with pearls and rhinestones. Once your paint and embellishments are dry it's time to assemble! I applied a little E-6000 adhesive to the bottom of the candlestick and stuck it right in the middle of my bottom plate. After a couple of minutes I put more E-6000 on the top of the candlestick and set the smaller, top plate on it, as close to centered as you can get. Now... don't touch them! Let them set up all night long if you can. The E-6000 will provide a good strong hold as long as you give it time to set up. And there you go! Now you are set to get organized. I have one pedestal next to my sink for my bobby pins, moisturizers and deodorant  The other is on my dresser to hold perfumes, hair accessories and jewelry. They are so darn cute and handy! Now go make one of your own!



No comments:

Post a Comment