You must be the change you want to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Friday, January 25, 2013

DIY: Let's Make a Craft Cabinet!


So this lovely friend of mine had a few pieces of furniture in her garage that she no longer wanted hanging around in her garage. After putting on my thinking cap (love the old school reference) I decided they would make a great furniture remake. She so sweetly let me take these unloved pieces of furniture so that I could give them a new life. She had a dresser and a TV/Bookshelf, both finished in a lovely (or not so lovely) Ivory and Gold crackle finish.

This is the story of a little entertainment stand that couldn't and the rad craft cabinet that could!

From Ivory/Gold crackle TV stand to Semi-Organized craft cabinet

I started off by removing the hardware and doors. Sanding the entire piece down until it was smooth.
I put on a coat of purple paint. Add some new hardware and sewed up a simple curtain to keep the mess out of sight. 

I love all the space that I have! My old craft area was a corner in my dining room. Sure, my craft cabinet is also in the corner of my dining room, but it's much less IN my dining room. The craft monster that was, was taking over our living space. Fabric stacked all over, batting on the floor, and nearly everything else in Hobby Lobby and JoAnn Fabric's bags. Looking for something was always a time consuming nightmare. Not to mention my little's getting into the craft goodies constantly!

My craft cabinet may look like a disorganized mess to some, but I assure you... it's organized chaos!
Having all things craft in one place (and a home for my monster sewing machine) is pure bliss!
Fabric is folded and stacked in colorful canvas bins. Ribbon is stacked.
An old baby wipe container corrals craft paints and glues and my pens and sharpies are  in an old vanity  glass jar.

From left to right: top to bottom. My awesome Thirty-One carryall bag. This is actually a gardening bag, but it works so well at keeping my sewing stuff in one easy to find and transportable place. A basket for misc. fabric scraps. A box for more ribbon. A small shelf in between for scrapbook paper, felt, and small boxes of beads, buttons and hair clips.
Extra spools of thread in the vintage tea tin, made and ready to sell hair accessories in the large pink and white box, my current project; Wonder Woman tutu for my little lady and another large basket for hard to wrangle fabrics (tulle, etc.)

I didn't purchase anything special for this project other than paint and hardware. I wanted to use containers I had around the house. It would be super cute and fun it they were all the same funky color or pattern, but that was just more dough than I wanted to sink into this little project. 

I think for my first furniture "remix" it went alright! It's not the best work ever, but it's functional, it helps keep me organized and I love it! 

Stay tuned for next weeks DIY project... the dresser from my friends garage!



No comments:

Post a Comment