You must be the change you want to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Monday, May 14, 2012

It’s the Journey... Not the Destination


I’m not an “after” just yet, but I wanted to do a quick weight loss summary/update for those that are interested. As many of you know in January 2011 I had a Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy. Currently I am 16 months post op and to date have lost 145 lbs. I would like to lose another 35lbs, but I’m trying to focus on the journey. After all, this is a marathon, not a sprint!





Some comparisons to date.

BMI: From 51.7 to 30
Inches Lost to date: 93.5
Ring Size: 11 to a 6
Clothing size: 28 to 12/14




Common questions VSG’ers receive:

Why the sleeve?
This is a really personal choice. There are a lot of weight loss surgeries available today, I felt the sleeve was best for me. I knew that expanding our family was a great possibility and I wanted to choose the option that would be safest. Apparently it worked because 5 months post-op I was pregnant with twins. The pregnancy was great (easier and better than my first) and the babies were around 6lbs. each at birth. I also liked that my digestive system wouldn’t be rearranged with the sleeve, nor would I have a foreign object in my body.


Weren’t you afraid to have 85% of your stomach removed?
Heck yes! But I was more afraid of continuing my life at 350lbs and not waking up one day.


Would you recommend the sleeve to someone struggling with their weight?
Yes, I would recommend the VSG to anyone interested in weight loss surgery. With anything though, you need to research all of your options, weigh your pros and cons and choose what’s best for you.

Is eating difficult with the sleeve?
Yes and No... Initially it’s hard getting used to the changes and difference in food amount that you can consume. Mentally you feel like you should be eating much more, but really only a couple of ounces is satisfying. Once you get used to eating solid food again and learn what agrees with you and what doesn’t, eating becomes very easy. I will say though, the closer I get to my goal weight the harder it is getting to keep my eating on track. It’s a daily battle, and always will be. A weight loss surgery vet once said “just because the monkey is off my back doesn’t mean the circus has left town”... so true!


Do you have a lot of loose skin?
Yep, and it’s no fun, but better than skin filled with fat right? If I were to win the Powerball I’d head to the plastic surgeon’s office the next day, but at this point that just isn’t an option. For now I’m going to give my body time to heal and continue to exercise and hope for the best, that’s all anyone can do.

This is my update so far... there have been a few bumps in the road, but all worth it! 35 lbs until I reach goal. Until then, onward and downward!

2 comments:

  1. So so proud of my lady! You look AMAZING :)

    I'm a lucky guy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nikki, your progress is amazing! I am so happy for your and your family!!! Keep up the amazing job!

    ReplyDelete